An epidemic of hearing loss could be headed our way and doctors say our lifestyles are largely to blame. Personal listening devices have become a major cause of hearing loss, according hearing specialist Dr. Sreek Cherukuri.
5 things you should know about hearing loss
- The majority of people with hearing loss are UNDER age 65 (more than 6 million between 18-44 with hearing loss).
- “My doctor would have told me if I had hearing loss” – FALSE – only 13% of physicians routinely screen for hearing loss during a physical – so even your doctor may miss it.
- If a person with hearing loss waits too long to start using hearing aids, they may have missed the window to actually benefit from hearing aids.
- If I had a hearing loss, I would know – FALSE – hearing loss happens gradually and the signs are subtle at first. Our own built-in defenses and ability to adapt make it difficult to self-diagnose.
- Living with hearing loss is not a big deal. – FALSE – medical studies have shown that untreated hearing loss can lead to frustration, withdrawal, and depression.
If you have any questions about hearing loss contact Hidden Hearing.